Description


Natural habitat

Posted on: Friday, October 19, 2012

 In the mountains of Idaho where we used to live, there was a good chance that if you went exploring into the woods you'd meet a hungry grizzly bear, an ill tempered mother moose, or a mountain lion might try to stalk you.  I never felt quite at ease walking around.  The bear repellent spray didn't fill me with the confidence I thought it would.
One  evening my friend and I were taking a leisurely mountain top walk and we heard the cracking of branches and saw a large dark shape in the treeline coming at us.  We both thought we were going to die and have never run so fast in all our lives.  It was totally terrifying, but because we weren't eaten, it was thrilling and we still laugh about it.  Afterwards though,  I had no desire to hike around.   So I lived in the gorgeous expanse of nature and never really took full advantage of it because it was too wild, unknown, and isolated.
But I love the woods around here in Western Mass.  They are much less intimidating and I feel that I can safely roam around without having to worry as much.  Our family found this amazing spot a few years ago when we set out on a waterfall quest.  The area around the falls has huge limestone bluffs that have pockets of dark little caves in them, and they are covered in all different kinds of moss, lichen, and fern.   The falls are two tiered and are pretty magical...like out of a Tolkien or Game of Thrones book. 
It is decidedly the site for out next Ode fall look book.  Ceremonies, ancient rituals, and levitating beauties will soon bedeck these rocks and falls.



0 comments:

Chattman Photography All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger